Samantha is allergic to dairy, so please be sure she isn’t served milk! Luke has a nut allergy, so it’s critical that he avoids all foods with peanuts. Harry is allergic to milk and eggs, so he has to steer clear of foods with either of these ingredients (think cupcakes, cookies and other treats).
Welcome to the lunchroom – the thunderous meeting ground of lunch tables separated by food allergies. There’s the “No Peanut” table, “No Milk” table, “No Gluten” table and for some schools, even a “No GMO” table. Have we become a society of extremely picky eaters? Well, pickiness aside, studies show that food allergies affect up to 2 1/2 million children. Six foods account for 90 percent of all allergic reactions to foods in children: milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, and soy. Aside from peanut and tree nut allergy (which are considered life-long), most children will outgrow their food allergies. But until then, parents and students remain vigilant and cautious in managing those allergies to stay healthy (and alive).
That level of vigilance has translated to greater national awareness and standard school guidelines via the CDC, Food Allergy Research and Education (FARE), USDA and US Department of Education. So with parents and students requiring much more transparency and traceability, does your organization have a trusted way to provide them with nutritional information in a fast and easily accessible format? Can your organization easily share that info with healthcare professionals, parents, and government agencies? If not, don’t you get schooled! Instead, consider the following SIX to do’s:
- Establish repeatable global processes and content for product information compliance and transparency
- Manage your product information to address Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Health, Safety & Environment policies
- Address compliance with specific global transparency initiatives, such as GMA SmartLabel or the EU 1169 Food Regulation.
- Capture, store, manage and distribute product data, information and content in accordance with global regulations – e.g. Hazmat, Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSAI), Reach/GHS
- Leverage global consulting, content validation and verification services for chemical ingredients and harmful substances.
- Establish repeatable processes for material safety data sheets (SDS) and digital as well as physical handling and distribution of compliance documentation.
Fortunately, this is exactly where 1WorldSync can help. Our proven solutions can help protect and grow your sales to discerning consumers, by offering total product information transparency on all channels. Even schools now have the ability to provide full nutritional transparency to the right people, at the right time, in the right format. 1WorldSync Showcase for Foodservice is a boundless marketplace that allows you to discover and publish products, and more importantly product information, in a standardized, easily accessible, digital format…and ensuring accurate nutritional information such as ingredients, allergens, and serving size.